World Heritage Sites in the United Kingdom


The Giant's Causeway and Causeway Coast

(55.25 N 6.52 W) --
satellite image

One of Northern Ireland's greatest attractions is its spectacular landscape. Nicknamed onion-skins, the Giant's Causeway is an unusual mass of basalt columns packed tightly together. The sight has inspired legends of giants striding over the sea to Scotland.


Durham Castle and Cathedral

(54.774 N 1.576 W) --
satellite image

Ironbridge Gorge

(52.45 N 2.48 W) --
satellite image

Studley Royal Park, including the Ruins of Fountains Abbey

(54.116 N 1.573 W) --
satellite image

Stonehenge, Avebury and associated sites

(51.178 N 1.825 W) --
satellite image

Stonehenge is a circular setting of large standing stones surrounded by an earthwork. It was built in stages during the Late Neolithic Period and Early Bronze Age (c. 3100-1500 BC) and located approximately 13km north of Salisbury, England.


The Castles and Town Walls of King Edward in Gwynedd

(53.13-53.87 N 3.83-4.27 W) -- satellite image

Several works carried out during the reign of Edward I, king of England (1272-1307) include the castles of Beaumaris and Harlech, and the fortified complexes of Caernarvon and Conway.


St. Kilda

(57.82 N 8.57 W) --
satellite image

The archipelago of St. Kilda is situated in the North Atlantic 115 miles (185 kms) off the mainland of Scotland. The archipelago comprises the four islands of Hirta, Dun, Soay and Boreray and the sea stacs of Stac an Armin, Stac Lee and Levenish.

St. Kilda contains magnificent sea cliffs, teeming sea bird colonies, and remains of past human settlement. The largest colony of gannets in Europe breeds on Boreray and its stacs and there are large numbers of guillemots and kittiwakes. The most numerous bird is the puffin. Humans inhabited St. Kilda for more than 2000 years. The population was evacuated at their own request in 1930.


Blenheim Palace

(51.83 N 1.33 W)

Blenheim Palace is in a romantic park near Oxford. It was created by the well-known landscape gardener "Capability" Brown and given by the English nation to John Churchill, first Duke of Marlborough, in recognition of his victory in 1704 over French and Bavarian troops. Built between 1705 and 1722, characterised by eclectic inspiration and a return to national roots, it is a perfect example of an 18th-century princely home.


City of Bath

(51.42 N 2.33 W) --
satellite image

Hadrian's Wall

(54.90-54.98 N 1.58-2.92 W) --
satellite image

Built in about 122 A.D. under the orders of Roman Emperor Hadrian. The 118 km long wall is on the border between England and Scotland.

The listing was extended in 2005 and now includes two sections of the border line of the Roman Empire at its greatest extent in the 2nd century A.D., part of what is known as the Roman Limes. (see German Frontiers)


Palace of Westminster, Abbey of Westminster, and St. Margaret's Church

(51.87 N 00.08 W)

Henderson Island

(24.37 S 128.33 W)



Tower of London

(51.508 N 00.076 W) --
satellite image

The Tower of London was begun in 1078 by William the Conqueror. Successive monarches added towers, walls and a huge moat over the centuries. It was here that traitors were brought to be executed, via the traitors gate by boat from the Thames, before being beheaded.


Canterbury Cathedral, St. Augustine's Abbey, and St. Martin's Church

(51.28 N 1.08 E) --
satellite image

Old and New Towns of Edinburgh

(55.95 N 3.22 W) -- satellite image

Gough Island Wildlife Reserve

(40.35 S 9.88 W)

Maritime Greenwich

(51.48 N 00.00 E)

The collection of buildings at Greenwich, near London, are distinguished symbols of English artistic and scientific endeavour in the 17th and 18th centuries. The Queen's House of Inigo Jones was the first Palladian building in the British Isles, and the complex housing the Royal Naval College was designed by Christopher Wren. The Park contains the original Royal Observatory and the prime meridian line of longitude runs through it.


Heart of Neolithic Orkney

(
multiple locations)

The group of Neolithic monuments on Orkney consists of a number of sites dating back five thousand years, including: Maes Howe, a large chambered tomb, the Stones of Stenness and the Ring of Brodgar, two ceremonial stone circles, and the settlement of Skara Brae.


The Historic Town of St George and Related Fortifications, Bermuda

(32.379 N 64.678 W) --
satellite image

Blaenavon Industrial Landscape

(51.77 N 3.08 W) --
satellite image

Derwent Valley Mills

(53.01 N 1.50 W)

Near Cromford, the modern factory owes its origins to the old mill (1771) where Richard Arkwright first used water power for a cotton mill.


Dorset and East Devon Coast

(50.67 N 2.65 W) --
satellite image

New Lanark

(55.65 N 3.77 W) --
satellite image

Founded as cotton-spinning center by David Dale & Sir Richard Arkwright, inventor of the spinning frame in the 18th century, the town became known for its advances in working conditions stimulated by socialist Robert Owen.


Saltaire

(53.83 N 1.78 W) --
satellite image

Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew

(51.48 N 0.29 W) --
satellite image

Liverpool - Maritime Mercantile City

(53.41 N 2.99 W) --
satellite image

Cornwall and West Devon Mining Landscape

(50.136 N 5.384 W) -- satellite image

Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and Canal

(52.970 N 3.088 W) --
satellite image

The Forth Bridge

(56.001 N 3.389 W) --
satellite image

Openining in 1890, this railway bridge spanning the estuary of the Forth River in Scotland, was the world's earliest multispan cantilever bridge.



Back to the World Heritage List

Lynn Salmon <>{

Last updated: September 10, 2015