World Heritage Sites in Poland

Historic Centre of Cracow

(50.062 N 19.94 E) -- satellite image

. . .one of the seven places in the world protected by magical stones. . .

Krakow contains the royal castle of the Polish kings, dozens of churches and cathedrals, and a great many palaces and houses dating from the Renaissance. Romanesque, Gothic and baroque edifices stand side by side in a city considered the artistic capital of Poland.

Two research projects of mine include a study at the Wieliczka Salt Mine, located near Krakow Poland as well as an investigation of the soiling inside the Wawel Castle and several museums located in the historic central district of the city. See map.

Wieliczka Salt Mine

(49.979 N 20.064 E) -- satellite image

See my work: Air Pollutant Intrusion into the Wieliczka Salt Mine

Auschwitz Birkenau

(50.067 N 19.35 E) -- satellite image

German Nazi Concentration and Extermination Camp (1940-1945)

Belovezhskaya Pushcha/Bialowieza Forest

(52.72-52.80 N 23.80-23.93 E) -- satellite image

Founded in 1921, Bialowieski is the oldest national park in Poland and one of the oldest in Europe. One third of the WH property is located in Poland, with the remainder in Belarus. On the watershed of the Baltic and Black seas, this immense forest range consisting of evergreens and broad-leaved trees is the home of some rare and interesting animals. Mammals include the European bison which was reintroduced to the park in 1929. Bird species include the black stork (Cioconia nigra), Pomeranian eagle (Aquila pomarina), tawny owl (Strix aluco), crane and raven.

Historic Center of Warsaw

(52.25 N 21.00 E) --
satellite image

Old City of Zamosc

(50.72 N 23.25 E) --
satellite image

Zamosc was founded in the 16th century by the chancellor Jan Zamoysky on the trade route linking western and northern Europe with the Black Sea. The soldid fortress was able to resist attacks by both the Cossacks and the Swedes.

Medieval Town of Torun

(53.02 N 18.58 E) --
satellite image

Torun owes its origins to the Teutonic Order, which built a castle there in the mid-13th century as a base for the conquest and evangelization of Prussia. One of its most famous people was Nicolaus Copernicus.

Castle of the Teutonic Order in Malbork

(54.03 N 19.05 E) --
satellite image

Kalwaria Zebrzydowska

(49.87 N 19.67 E) --
satellite image

Mannerist architectural landscape complex and pilgrimage park.

Churches of Peace in Jawor and Swidnica

(51.07 N 16.20 E) and (50.83 N 15.49 E)

Built in the mid 17th century, these are the largest timber-framed religious buildings in Europe.

Wooden Churches of Southern Little Poland

These wooden medieval churches include:

  • Church of the Archangel Michael, Binarowa
  • Church of All Saints, Blizne
  • Church of the Archangel Michael, Debno
  • Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Archangel Michael, Haczow
  • Church of St. Leonard, Lipnica Murowana
  • Church of St Hilip and St James the Apostles, Sekowa

Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski

(51.58 N 14.73 E) --
satellite image

Landscaped park along the Neisse river on the border between Poland and Germany, it was created by Prince Hermann von Puckler-Muskau from 1815 to 1844.

Centennial Hall in Wroclaw

(51.107 N 17.077 E)

Wooden Tserkvas of the Carpathian Region

(49.534 N 21.032 E)

Joint listing with Ukraine comprised of 16 churches, built of horizontal wooden logs between the 16th and 19th centuries by communities of the Eastern Orthodox and Greek Catholic faiths.

Back to the World Heritage List

Lynn Salmon <>{

Last updated: September 9, 2015